How do you create an outside area at the basement level?

Angela Jones4 August

I used the basement level to create the foundation of the house.  When I try to create outside grass, it float above the foundation (on the ground of the 1st floor).  How do I apply the grass on the basement level?

If there is no way to do that, is there a way to avoid starting over

0 55 13

Comments(13)

head-img
Grace Simmons10 August
I totally forgot--there is another way, use 'outside area' from 'create room' menu. I don't use this because 1) drawing this needs extreme precision. 2) it can't be adjusted after the fact-if you change any of the walls you have to delete outside area & start over. 3)sometimes you get a glitch and end up with 2 floors inside the building. That become a problem when applying textures to your inside room floors. As complicated as it may seem, its easier for me to create a basement (once I am happy with 1st fl layout) & then go to 1st fl & use edit floor function on 1st floor.@ Angela Jones
Hi Grace, That worked well. I'm almost there. The last issue is how to remove the ceiling. These are steps I have taken so far: 1. Use "Draw Rooms" to make the area for the grass 2. Click on the the area and selected "Model Liabrary", "Finish", and via the color drop down on the upper left, I filtered for green and found grass and applied it to the area 3. In plane mode, I selected a wall, clicked on partial and decreased the height of each wall. It only let me reduce the wall to 4". I couldn't figure how to decrease it lower than that. Is there another way reduce the wall to 0"?)
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons10 August
HS walls will only go as low as 4" and since you created a separate room for the grass area your going to have to camouflage it some how. Depending on how it was done you may be able to hide the wall. In plane/roam view, click on wall and choose hide from pop up menu. This may work but may cause it to look weird when you render. In plane view click on the room and on the right side menu look for "Whether to show ceiling" move slider to left and it should remove ceiling.@ Angela Jones
Hi Grace, That worked well. I'm almost there. The last issue is how to remove the ceiling. These are steps I have taken so far: 1. Use "Draw Rooms" to make the area for the grass 2. Click on the the area and selected "Model Liabrary", "Finish", and via the color drop down on the upper left, I filtered for green and found grass and applied it to the area 3. In plane mode, I selected a wall, clicked on partial and decreased the height of each wall. It only let me reduce the wall to 4". I couldn't figure how to decrease it lower than that. Is there another way reduce the wall to 0"?)
Helpful Reply
head-img
Angela Jones10 August
(continuation of last post) Also, I have a floating white ceiling with the same dimensions as the grass. It is above the grass on the 1st floor ground level. I can't find a way to remove the ceiling. How did you overcome these two obstacles?@ Grace Simmons
Thank you for the compliments. Glad I could inspire you like so many other on this site have inspired me. You say 'decrease the 5' wall'.....Re wall height-go to plane view, click on the wall and in the right side menu- click partial, then change the height. If you do this you are going to have to change all the walls. Otherwise you will have an open gap between the floor and the wall. If your talking width -go to plane view, click on the wall and change the width AKA 'thickness'. Kind of hard to tell exactly what you are trying to do w/o image.
Helpful Reply
head-img
Angela Jones10 August
Hi Grace, That worked well. I'm almost there. The last issue is how to remove the ceiling. These are steps I have taken so far: 1. Use "Draw Rooms" to make the area for the grass 2. Click on the the area and selected "Model Liabrary", "Finish", and via the color drop down on the upper left, I filtered for green and found grass and applied it to the area 3. In plane mode, I selected a wall, clicked on partial and decreased the height of each wall. It only let me reduce the wall to 4". I couldn't figure how to decrease it lower than that. Is there another way reduce the wall to 0"?)@ Grace Simmons
Thank you for the compliments. Glad I could inspire you like so many other on this site have inspired me. You say 'decrease the 5' wall'.....Re wall height-go to plane view, click on the wall and in the right side menu- click partial, then change the height. If you do this you are going to have to change all the walls. Otherwise you will have an open gap between the floor and the wall. If your talking width -go to plane view, click on the wall and change the width AKA 'thickness'. Kind of hard to tell exactly what you are trying to do w/o image.
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons8 August
Thank you for the compliments. Glad I could inspire you like so many other on this site have inspired me. You say 'decrease the 5' wall'.....Re wall height-go to plane view, click on the wall and in the right side menu- click partial, then change the height. If you do this you are going to have to change all the walls. Otherwise you will have an open gap between the floor and the wall. If your talking width -go to plane view, click on the wall and change the width AKA 'thickness'. Kind of hard to tell exactly what you are trying to do w/o image.@ Angela Jones
Hi Grace. After drawing a room, I was able to get the grass to lay on the bottom floor of the basement using your idea. However, now I can't figure how to decrease the white 5' walls that surround the grass. Any thoughts?
Helpful Reply
head-img
Angela Jones7 August
Hi Grace. After drawing a room, I was able to get the grass to lay on the bottom floor of the basement using your idea. However, now I can't figure how to decrease the white 5' walls that surround the grass. Any thoughts?@ Grace Simmons
This picture is an example of creating a basement (6ft walls) and editing the 1st floor and placing grass texture on the basement floor via 'tile flooring'. The basement is the same height as the stairs so I didn't have to alter the 1st floor wall height at all. It's still a work in progress!! My designs WIP Waterfront: https://www.homestyler.com/projectDetail/60b54631665c7dd1ca022d3d ..... and Island Compound: https://www.homestyler.com/community/editProject/60913a6f7a8d7a0a5984edee ....are examples of using the basement and custom modeling.
attachment
Helpful Reply
head-img
Angela Jones7 August
Good Morning Grace. Thank you so much for sharing this image with me. I am inspired. You did such a great job with this home. The bottom wall that is painted white is exactly the type of wall on the basement level that I am trying to put grass on. I am glad you showed me that it is possible. So today I will try. By the way, the extra grooves in your columns are a nice touch.@ Grace Simmons
This picture is an example of creating a basement (6ft walls) and editing the 1st floor and placing grass texture on the basement floor via 'tile flooring'. The basement is the same height as the stairs so I didn't have to alter the 1st floor wall height at all. It's still a work in progress!! My designs WIP Waterfront: https://www.homestyler.com/projectDetail/60b54631665c7dd1ca022d3d ..... and Island Compound: https://www.homestyler.com/community/editProject/60913a6f7a8d7a0a5984edee ....are examples of using the basement and custom modeling.
attachment
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons5 August
This picture is an example of creating a basement (6ft walls) and editing the 1st floor and placing grass texture on the basement floor via 'tile flooring'. The basement is the same height as the stairs so I didn't have to alter the 1st floor wall height at all. It's still a work in progress!! My designs WIP Waterfront: https://www.homestyler.com/projectDetail/60b54631665c7dd1ca022d3d ..... and Island Compound: https://www.homestyler.com/community/editProject/60913a6f7a8d7a0a5984edee ....are examples of using the basement and custom modeling.@ Angela Jones
attachment
Hi Grace. Thank you for answering my question. I am new to Homestyler so I will opt to redo the project. Words like "complicated" and "patience" won't work for me (: Is it possible to insert a floor in the middle of two existing floors? Also, I plan to make a duplicate the project, delete the basement, 2nd floor and roofs. Then using the first floor, rebuild from there. Is that what you would do?
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons5 August
I have also created steps/porch using custom modeling and have had to put steps on the inside or extend the custom modeling throughout the 1st floor. Just remember that everything on the 1st floor will have to be elevated and thus you might have to change the height of the walls. You just need to remember the elevation when placing doors/windows, hanging pictures and the like. Check out HS Youtube channel or put 'Homestyler' in YouTube search bar & you will find hundreds of tutorials.@ Angela Jones
Hi Grace. Thank you for answering my question. I am new to Homestyler so I will opt to redo the project. Words like "complicated" and "patience" won't work for me (: Is it possible to insert a floor in the middle of two existing floors? Also, I plan to make a duplicate the project, delete the basement, 2nd floor and roofs. Then using the first floor, rebuild from there. Is that what you would do?
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons5 August
I can't really tell you what is easier to do since I didn't see the design. If you are trying to achieve the look of elevated front steps/porch, I have found that their is no easy way to do it. Most times I created a basement of 4-6 ft, re-align the 1st floor via 'edit floor' and then used custom modeling on the basement level to create my front steps/porch. Keep in mid that you need to make sure that the 1st floor plan is complete b/4 you start messing with the floor. Because making adjustments can cause you walls not to line up correctly.@ Angela Jones
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons5 August
HA HA 🤣 If complicated and patience are not in your vocabulary-you are on the wrong site❣❣❣ 1) you can't insert a floor between 2 existing ones. Depending on your course of action you can group each decorated rooms furniture and then elevate up, so you can delete the basement. Or save furniture combinations to your favorites-so you don't have to search for them again. Or after grouping move them outside of the bounds of your designs until finished.@ Angela Jones
Helpful Reply
head-img
Angela Jones5 August
Hi Grace. Thank you for answering my question. I am new to Homestyler so I will opt to redo the project. Words like "complicated" and "patience" won't work for me (: Is it possible to insert a floor in the middle of two existing floors? Also, I plan to make a duplicate the project, delete the basement, 2nd floor and roofs. Then using the first floor, rebuild from there. Is that what you would do?@ Grace Simmons
In HS basements are below ground. The grass area via outside area will always appear on the 1st floor, just the way the system works. You can get grass on the basement level but that requires some serious strategic planning and careful measuring when designing: you have to edit the 1st floor-so you can see basement floor and then apply grass texture to basement floor by using 'tile flooring'. I've done it and its complicated, your going to need a lot of patience but you will be happy with your results.
Helpful Reply
head-img
Grace Simmons4 August
In HS basements are below ground. The grass area via outside area will always appear on the 1st floor, just the way the system works. You can get grass on the basement level but that requires some serious strategic planning and careful measuring when designing: you have to edit the 1st floor-so you can see basement floor and then apply grass texture to basement floor by using 'tile flooring'. I've done it and its complicated, your going to need a lot of patience but you will be happy with your results.
Helpful Reply